Monday, August 18, 2008

Presbymeme II

The Rev. Bruce Reyes-Chow posted these questions on his blog today. I thought I would take the opportunity to answer them. Why not?


1. What is your favorite faith-based hymn, song or chorus?

Well, I don't want to sound silly, but Christian metal played an essential role in my coming to faith. I would have to say 'Into the Abyss' by Vengeance Rising. I know, apocalyptic thrash metal isn't everyone's cup of tea.

2. What was the context, content and/or topic of the last sermon that truly touched, convicted, inspired, challenged, comforted and/or otherwise moved you?

I don't hear a lot of sermons these days. I will say I was impressed with the passion and empathy with which my future wife's pastor preached about Immigration a month or so ago. It was one of those 'skin-crawling, hair standing up, grip the pew' uncomfortable moments. But I applaud him for preaching that message and afflicting the comfortable!

3. If you could have all Presbyterians read just one of your previous posts, what would it be and why?

I don't have a lot of these to choose from, but I will say I was most vulnerable in a post in which I decried the practice of attempting to change one's sexual orientation. I do indeed struggle with the underlying issue and what it means for the church. I hope anyone who reads it would see my pastoral intention to put the individual first, regardless of my personal belief, and to be open to hearing God's voice in any situation.

4. What are three PC(USA) flavored blogs you read on a regular basis?

Classical Presbyterian - Toby Brown
Shuck & Jive - John Shuck
Decently and In Order - more of a podcast, but I still check it often

5. If the PC(USA) were a movie, what would it be and why?

I would say 'Revenge of the Sith'. That moment where Mace Windu stands ready to violate the Jedi code and assisinate Chancellor Palpatine without trial (for the greater good, of course)...that speaks volumes to me about how some Presbyterians relate to those with whom they disagree.

1 comment:

Reyes-Chow said...

Thanks for playing and offering some GREAT responses!