Sunday, March 16, 2008

Why I would rather give up eating at Burger King than go to hell

I know that many Presbyterian pastors are frustrated with the national office of the Presbyterian Church. What I don't understand is how anyone who is a Christian can scoff at the efforts of our those in our denomination who are asking large corporations to think about the true price we pay for cheap food. The issue is complex for sure and I am not so much of a news junky that I follow all the details of the story. I have, however, seen the living conditions of many of these farmworkers. I have heard first-hand how Florida farmers high illegal aliens to work in their fields, then stiff them for the work they've done, essentially blackmailing them into silence with the threat of deportation. I have seen the children who do poorly in school because of the lack of family stability. It is a horrible situation.

I am not sure what the proper legal steps would be to address this situation. Perhaps certain critics have it right when they peg us as naive to think that we can make a difference. I would have to agree that we are probably taking on the wrong people in a corporation when it is mainly the farmers themselves who are to blame for low wages and terrible working conditions. Yet, cheap labor is the reason why you can get a $5 meal at Burger King. It hardly seems worth it at that price. How can anyone who has read the bible stand up for these farmers? How can anyone who takes the prophets, including Jesus himself, seriously mock these efforts? I just don't get it.

No comments: